Website Tutorials


Managing Trustees

If you are a member of your church council then you are a managing trustee of your church. Please take note of this terminology because the Consents system is built around and refers frequently to managing trustees. As you may already be aware, it is one of your main responsibilities to manage and maintain property belonging to your church, including how it is used and by whom.

You are also responsible for identifying when improvement work needs doing, though it is appreciated that some problems can be more obvious than others and professional advice may be required. For example, a leaking roof or heating problems can be easily identified and rectified but a wall showing signs of subsidence may need a professional survey before you decide whether immediate rectification work is necessary.

Your role is not only to put things right when they go wrong with your property but also to think of ways it can be improved (or even replaced) in line with your Mission and that of our Church. For example, your chapel may be small with limited facilities but you may learn that a more suitable building has become available nearby, or you may wish to add an extension in order to provide facilities for groups in your community.

Think of your role not only as a "fire fighter", who puts things right when they go wrong, but also in a proactive, creative and mission-focused capacity.

To Top