Website Tutorials

Frequently Asked Questions

Can we start work before we get consent?

No. You must not start building work on your project until your district has granted final consent. If building work is started before the district has approved a project then this could not only lead to wasted time, effort and money but could even result in legal liability against you and the other managing trustees of your church.

It is also important to remember that if you start building work without consent then your project will be ineligible for Connexional grants and the use of any funds held in trust by TMCP.

Although you must wait for district consent before starting building work, there is still plenty of background work which can be done in the meantime, such as fundraising and developing your project ideas with your congregation, circuit, district and Connexional Officers.

A member of our congregation is a retired architect. Can we ask this person to act as out professional advisor so we can save money?

Unfortunately you cannot. While this person's experience may prove very helpful in the preliminary stages, there are a number of reasons why they should not get involved professionally with your project.

Architects can only provide professional advice if they hold professional indemnity insurance, which covers the cost of putting things right should their advice be flawed and cause damage. Retired architects will not carry indemnity insurance and there are still potential conflicts of interest if they provide advice on a professional basis (see the following question).

One of our managing trustees is a professional architect. Can we employ them for our project?

No. Managing trustees may ask for reimbursement of reasonable expenses but must never carry out work for their church on a paid basis because there is a clear conflict of interest, while this is also contrary to charity law.

If you appointed either of these people then it could be very embarrassing for all concerned if problems occurred due to bad advice and you (the other managing trustees) were forced to take legal action. It is very important to remember that verbal and even unpaid advice carries the same liability as it would if it were paid for. We therefore recommend that you do not consult either person and instead seek independent professional advice from an external architect.

I wish to change my email address and/or password. How do I update these on the website?

Updating Your Email Address

  1. Click on the edit profile link on the top right of the web page.
  2. Update your email address and then click the save user details button.

Changing Your Password

  1. To change your password click the Change Password button and enter the required information.
  2. Click the Change button.

For added security all passwords have to include at least one capital letter and at least one number
Next time you log on to the website you will be able to use your new email address / password.

There is no one available at the local Church to use the website. What can I do?

We understand that not every Church will have someone available locally to use the website. In such circumstances, the Church Council need to decide on who should use the website on their behalf. The Superintendent Minister can then give this nominated person the necessary Managing Trustee permissions, to act on behalf of that Church. This person will need to register as a new user on the website (if they have not already done so), before they can be authorised by the Superintendent Minister in the usual way.

I registered with the Consents website several days ago but have not yet received my password? What should I do?

After you have registered with the Consents Website, an email will be automatically sent to your Superintendent Minister, informing them that you need to be authorised. When your Superintendent Minister is able, they will authorise you on the website and you should receive an automatic email giving you a password to log into the website. If you are concerned that you have not yet been authorised, please try to contact your Superintendent Minister.

Why can’t I see the Add New Project button?

You will only be able to see the Add New Project button if you have been nominated as the person responsible for creating and updating projects for your church. To see the Add New Project button you will need to have both Read and Update permissions for the church in your user account. When your Superintendent Minister authorises you to use the website they will need to check your user account and make sure you have the correct church permissions in place.

If you cannot see the Add New Project button and you should be able to please get back in contact with your Superintendent Minister who will be able to update your user account.

I am registered as a user on the website for my church but other churches in our circuit have asked me to act on their behalf. How do I do this?

You can do this but you will need to contact your Superintendent Minister who can arrange to add these churches to your user account.

Does a project need to be created for minor works?

Small, non-structural improvement works - such as like for like non-structural works do not require consent under Standing Order 930 (1). There may be exceptions to this however if your property is in a conservation area or the building is listed. In such instances, you will need to contact the Conservation Office on 0161 235 6722 or email The Conservation Office.

Before you proceed with the work, it's also worth talking to your district property secretary to find out if they want a project for the work you are planning on doing.

The District Property Secretaries have also provided a helpful flowchart of when consent is required for a project: Consents Flow Chart(Hosted by TMCP)

We are trying to add managing trustee authorisation to our project but we can't see the boxes to input the meeting date. What do we have to do?

You need to click on the tabs to check whether there are any outstanding issues on any of them. Once you have input data onto a tab for the first time and clicked the Save & Submit button the other required fields will be highlighted to you.

Once you have input all the required details the tab will go green to show that it is complete. The only tab that remains orange before the Managing Trustees complete their authorisation is the Project Summary. The Project Summary tab goes green when Final Consent is given by the Consent Giving Body.

We are selling a property in order to buy another. Can we do this on the same Project Record?

No. Sale and purchases should be logged as two separate projects. The system will prevent you from logging a sale and a purchase as one project.

Do I need to enter information into every section?

No. It is not always necessary to complete all questions on the website. Each project is different and will vary in terms of the type of work involved and complexity. For smaller projects e.g. a minor roof repair, less information would need to be entered. For major building projects questions about how the proposals link to spiritual development of the church and how the project benefits the local community would clearly be more relevant. You may want to contact your Consent Giving Body for guidance on the level of information they require.

I have completed the Managing Trustee authorisation. Why can't I input the Circuit Meeting date?

There are two different levels of authorisation for a project beyond the local church. Circuit Meeting authorisation is recorded on the website by the Superintendent Minister and final consent is recorded by the Consent Giving Body.

I have completed Managing Trustee authorisation, how does the circuit know that there is a project needing their attention?

The website automatically sends an email to the circuit user (normally the Superintendent Minister) notifying them that you have signed off the project on behalf of the managing trustees.

I have been asked to confirm Circuit funds for a project which is at the Consent Given status. Why can’t I do this?

This will be because the project has been given consent by the district. The website has been designed to lock the information on a project when consent is given. This enables the district to keep a record of exactly what they gave consent for. It is therefore essential that circuit funds are confirmed before consent is given. If this is not possible, then a project amendment will need to be created to allow further consent to be given.

Where do I update property details on the website?

If you are a managing trustee user with read and update permissions you will be able to edit and update the property details for the properties managed by trustees you represent. Once logged into the website you can find the Manage Properties facility in the Project Management menu on the left of page.

Can I do any work to my listed building without consent?

No. You must always contact the Connexional Conservation Officer before starting any work on a listed building. If you fail to do so you may be liable for the cost of putting it right.

My building is in a conservation area. Can I do internal maintenance work without the approval of the Connexional Conservation Officer?

You should always first check with the Connexional Conservation Officer.

Any project which involves a listed building or a non-listed building in a conservation area requires the Connexional Conservation Officer to complete their authorisation section even if the project is a sale, lease, sharing agreement or easement.

Do we need to send technical drawings/plans to the Connexional Team?

You only have to send technical drawings and plans to the Connexional Conservation Officer for projects involving work to listed buildings or buildings in conservation areas. Technical drawings and plans for other types of project should be uploaded to the documents tab on your project

How do I request a payment from the Consents website?

When your project has been given consent and you need to draw down funds held with TMCP, you must use the payments tab on the property consents website to request payment.

When you click on the Payments tab you will see that each source of funding held with TMCP will have its own section on the form.

To create a payment request click the Create Payment Request button below the relevant section. Complete all the required information as follows:

Description - What is the payment for e.g. Pay invoice XXXX dated XX/XX/XX

Payee - Enter the name of the account which you wish the money to go into i.e. Church, Contractors etc.

Sort Code/AC No - Enter the payment details of the account you wish for the funds to be paid. Please note that for payments to CFB leave the Sort Code blank and enter your 8 digit reference, this will start and end with 0.

Amount - Enter the amount you would like TMCP to transfer (there is no need for £ or commas).

It is important to ensure that full authority has been given for the payment requested and that payee details have been carefully checked. TMCP are only acting on your instructions. When you have double checked the information click the Confirm & Submit button.

Your payment request will now need to be authorised by a second person:

For church funds – the second user will need read and update permissions for the managing trustees to authorise the payment request

For circuit funds – the authorised circuit user (normally the Superintendent Minister) will provide the authorisation for circuit funds held with TMCP.

For district funds – the payment authorisation will need to be provided by a district user with read and update permissions.

The second signatory will need to go on to the payments tab, check that all the details of the payment request are correct then click the Authorise button beneath the Manage heading on the right. A pop up screen with appear confirming your email address and the date. You will need to click the blue Authorise button again.  A further pop up screen will then confirm that the payment request has been sent to TMCP.  

If you have successfully applied for a Fund for Property grant or a Landfill Grant (via TMCP) you must also use the payments tab to request release of the grant.  The two users required to request and authorise the request should both have managing trustee read and update permissions. The payment details will be received by TMCP who will process your request and arrange for payment to be made.  

We want to sell a manse and buy another one. Can we use leftover money to fund building work on one of the circuit’s chapels?

Yes.  All sale proceeds go into the Circuit Model Trust Fund, minus a CPF Levy. The circuit can decide how they wish to use these funds.  Simply complete your Project Record, detailing the amount of funding agreed by the Circuit. Your Superintendent Minister will need to confirm the use of this money on behalf of the Circuit Meeting.

It is very important to remember that if you sell a property which is not going to be replaced by another, then the Connexional Priority Fund levy will be taken on the proceeds. Please bear this in mind if you are selling one of your properties to fund a project as it will affect your calculations.

How do we get money released from trusts/bequests for my project?

If the managing trustees decide to use funds held with TMCP for their project, these must be a confirmed part of the funding package on the project record. When final consent is given payments from these funds should be requested using the payments tab on your project when required.

Do we need Circuit or District approval to start local/external fundraising?

No. Managing Trustees should be encouraged to start local and external fundraising as soon as the need for your project is identified. However, it is always a good idea to discuss this with your circuit/district beforehand and keep them informed of your progress as they may be able to help with advice and fundraising.

How do I report technical issues?

When reporting a technical issue on the website, make a note of which part of the site you were using when you experienced the problem together with details of what you were trying to do. Email the Web Support Officer with all the information to report the problem.


Further details for the Web Support Officer can be found under the Contacts page.

Uploading Documents

There are two ways in which you can upload a document. The first and most common way is through a project.

Uploading a Document to Your Project

  1. Go in to the project you wish to upload a document to.
  2. Click on the "Documents" tab.
  3. Click on the "Upload" button.
  4. Select the type of document you wish to upload.
  5. Give the document a name.
  6. Give the document a description.
  7. Select the document you wish to upload from your computer.
    1. Please note, the file must be in .JPG, .JPEG, .PDF, .PNG and less than 5MB.
  8. Click "Upload & Save".

You should now see your document listed on the documents tab.

It's also important that you contact any relevant parties when uploading a document as they may not be aware that you have done so.

Uploading a Document to Your Property

  1. Go to the property you wish to upload a document to.
  2. Click on the "Documents" tab.
  3. Click on the "Upload" button.
  4. Select the type of document you wish to upload.
  5. Give the document a name.
  6. Give the document a description.
  7. Select the document you wish to upload from your computer.
    1. Please note, the file must be in .JPG, .JPEG, .PDF, .PNG and less than 5MB.
  8. Click "Upload & Save".

You should now see your document listed on the documents tab.

You can also view documents that are related to specific projects, as well as view the project in question from this page as well. This function will only appear if there is a document against an associated project.

I want to replace the windows in my chapel. Do I need to log this as a replacement project?

No, replacement projects only apply to projects where a property has been sold, and is being replaced by a new property, or refurbishing/redeveloping an existing property

Why do I need to enter costs for a sale/lease/easement project?

All sales/leases/easement projects will have some legal fees associated with them. This legal cost should be entered against the project activity. You will also need to add how you are going to pay for these fees in the project funding section.

Why do some funding sources not appear on the payments tab?

You may need to check whether you have selected the correct fund type, as only those with "(TMCP)" as part of the fund name will be listed there.

How do I mark a project as replacement project?

Only certain types of projects can be marked as a replacement; Alteration/Repair, Extension, External Works, New Build, and Purchase. To flag a project as a replacement, you will need to tick the box against "Is this project a replacement project", when creating a new project, or on the project summary tab for existing projects.

Why does my property not appear in the property dropdown menu of the Project Creation wizard?

The properties appearing in Step 3 of the project creation process depend on the trustees selected in Step 1. In case of a sale, it is likely that the property has been transferred to the circuit trustees, so the managing trustee creating the project would need to pick “Circuit Trustees (…)” in order to be able to select the relevant property later on. Please ensure you have the necessary permissions and access before attempting to do this.

To Top