Website Tutorials


Demolishing a Property

It is strongly recommended that you contact the legal office of Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes at the earliest possible stage. If the building is listed or in a conservation area you should also have a conversation with the Connexional Conservation Officer at an early stage to ascertain whether they are required to provide conservation approval.

You will need to make contact with your local authority about any form of demolition you are considering although your professional advisor should advise you on the necessary protocols.

Completing the project record

When your project record opens for the first time, you will see Step 1 Complete Required Information is highlighted. Hovering over this first step will show you what needs to be completed.

You will see the Project Summary, Project Purpose, Demolitions, Documents, and Authorisations tabs. You will need to complete the required information on each of these to resolve the outstanding issues shown at the top of each tab. Required fields are denoted by a red asterisk (*).

Project Summary tab

The Project Summary tab is for describing the basic details of your project, such as the project name, a simple description, what project activities are taking place, as well as how much they cost and how you're going to fund your project.

You will notice that the Project Summary tab remains amber even though the Managing Trustee user has done everything required of them. The tab will only turn green once all TMCP held funding has been confirmed.

Project Purpose tab

The Project Purpose tab gives you the opportunity to describe the missional aspect of your project. This information will also be used to support any Connexional Grant you may be applying for.

Demolitions tab

Circumstances requiring demolition/What is to be demolished?

Further to the information in the main Project Summary page, you should provide any further relevant information here (including why you have chosen to demolish the property). This will help the Consent Giving Body to assess the need for the project. Give details on what will be demolished. If it is only part of the building, remember to state this and give your reasons for it.

Structural report

Using the professional structural engineer’s report enter the date completed in the relevant box, with any specific notes added to the Structural Report Notes box. Attach a copy in the Documents tab.

Safeguarding arrangements

Following the findings of the structural report and discussions with the contractor, what precautions will be taken to ensure the safety of workers, local people and neighbouring properties? For example, will scaffolding be used or a perimeter fence put up? If the property is only being partly demolished, what precautions will be taken against damage to the rest of the building?

Date insurers contacted

Remember to discuss the work with the building's insurers. They will need to know that all precautions have been taken and may send an inspector to ensure the work will not damage the rest of the building or neighbouring property.

If the building is being completely demolished then you should still notify your insurer beforehand and the policy should be cancelled after the work is completed.


Enter the date when notice was given. For properties in the Scotland District and those in the Island districts, you may need to consult your local authority as rules can differ.

Cost breakdown

Use this section to detail your costs as provided in the quote by your chosen contractor. The Fees box will include any professional fees or specialist fees (such as your structural engineer).

General Information

Use this box for any relevant information not yet provided but which may be important to the Consent Giving Body in making the final decision on the project's consent. This may include comments from your structural engineer, other professional advisor (surveyor, etc) or the contractor.

Documents tab

The Documents tab allows you add supporting documents to your project, such as qualified surveyors reports, drawings, account statements, etc.

Authorisations tab

Once you have completed all the required information, you will be able to enter managing trustee authorisation. Any outstanding issues will be listed at the top.

Once the Managing Trustee Authorisation is completed, an automated email will be sent to all authorised circuit users. They will make sure all the relevant project information has been input, confirm any circuit funds agreed by the circuit meeting and complete the circuit meeting authorisation.

If your property is a listed building or in a conservation area, a Conservation Authorisation section will follow the Circuit Authorisation. Once this has been completed by the Connexional Conservation Officer, an automated email will be sent to the managing trustees, circuit and Consent Giving Body.

If your property has a sharing agreement, the Connexional Ecumenical Officer will also need to sign the project off before final consent can be given.

Your Consent Giving Body will now be able to review the details of your project and give final consent. Once this has been done, the project can go ahead.

To Top